Oral hygiene habits to consider to maintain a healthy smile
Many Edina, Minnesota, area patients are unaware that proper oral hygiene habits can reduce their risk of infection, disease, and tooth decay with a smile. Poor oral care can increase the chance of developing problems such as cavities and periodontal disease, which can both cause irreversible damage to the smile. Our Grandview Center for Dentistry team can educate you on ways to keep your teeth and gums healthy for a lifetime!
What are oral hygiene habits that can keep the smile healthy?
Dr. Bridget Lervick and her team at Grandview Center for Dentistry recommend the following steps to maintain a healthy smile:
- Brush your teeth at least twice daily for two minutes, utilizing fluoride toothpaste and a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Floss daily between all of your teeth, not just the ones in front or back.
- Use antiseptic mouthwash to help reduce tartar buildup on hard-to-reach areas, such as between teeth and along the gum line.
- Visit your dentist every six months for professional cleaning and checkup. During these visits, Dr. Lervick can detect any potential issues early before they become more complicated, thereby preventing further damage to your oral health and saving you time and money.
- Limit sugary drinks and snacks as much as possible, as these can cause plaque to build up on your teeth, leading to cavities or gum disease.
- Quit smoking if you do, as it increases your risk for oral health problems like periodontal (gum) disease and oral cancer.
- Have regular oral cancer screenings. Our team often integrates an oral cancer screening at all dental checkups to ensure early detection and successful intervention.
Schedule an appointment to learn more about ways to care for your smile.
Following these steps is the best way to maintain a healthy smile! With regular brushing and flossing of the teeth, along with professional cleanings from Dr. Bridget Lervick every six months, you can keep your smile bright for years to come! We encourage patients in and around the Edina, MN area interested in learning more about oral care to call our practice at (952) 955-4505 to request an appointment at our facility, conveniently located at 5201 Eden Avenue, Suite #120.